7.27.2010

Week 8 - back to reality

[Posted by Ruth]

Vacation over takes on new meaning when it also means you have to come home and face a fridge full of vegetables from the previous week's csa.  I was lucky enough to have a great friend pick up the farm share the Thursday we were gone and encouraged (read that as begged) her to take as much as she wanted and then put the rest at our house hoping that my niece, the world's best pet/house sitter, would help herself to the rest.

Near as I can tell, my friend took only 1 ear out of 12 ears of corn.  (Are you kidding me!?!) and my niece just took some cherry tomatoes.  The rest was all waiting for me when we got back.

It seemed only fair to make corn pudding out of the remaining 9 ears (we ate 2 for lunch our first day back) and take to to my friends house to thank her for picking up the farm share.  I figured one way or another SHE IS GOING TO HELP EAT THIS CORN!!!

 Corn Pudding
 Kernels cut from 9 small ears of corn (approx 4 1/2 to 5 cups)
2 cloves garlic
4 large eggs
salt and pepper to taste (be generous with the salt)
3 oz cream cheese
2 T flour (Wondra if you have it)
1 1/2 cups milk
2 oz grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 375.  Butter a deep baking dish.  In food processor, place the corn kernels, garlic, eggs, flour and cream cheese.  Pulse until well blended and fairly well pureed.  Add in the milk and pulse again until well blended.  Add salt and pepper to taste and pour mixture into baking dish.  Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until puffed and golden on top.


The sweetness of the corn really came through and the little bit of added cream cheese gave it a nice richness.

No comments:

Post a Comment