6.08.2010

Week 1 - The First Salad

(Posted by Denise)
Important Safety Tip: Make
sure you have enough room in your refrigerator for the mountain of lettuce that arrives in your CSA box. Ruth told me there was a lot, but seriously there is a TON of lettuce. It also takes a while to wash all of the produce and package it for storage.

I was at a yoga weekend this weekend so today was my first real day with the farm share. I had a delicious salad for lunch and made a large (really LARGE) salad to accompany some leftover chicken for dinner. The salad included, lettuce, radishes, salad turnips, and scallions. Tomorrow when I make another salad I think I will include some carrots, edamame and some other things from the fridge, maybe some dried cranberries to keep it interesting.
This is also a busy time of the school year and the boys have games, so tonight was a night where we eat in shifts. It was nice to have the salad our for every one to take some and then get on to homework. I've never done that before and it was freeing to not have to be in the kitchen for the better part of three hours!

Quick Red Wine Vinaigrette
1 clove of garlic minced
1 tsp Dijon mustard
salt
pepper
1 teaspoon agave syrup
1/2 C red wine vinegar
1/4 C water
3/4 C olive oil

Sometimes I just put all of the ingredients in a jar and shake it up or I give it a spin in the blender. I also taste the dressing on a piece of lettuce to make sure that the seasonings are right.

No comments:

Post a Comment